• J Black (early 19th century) after Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854)

    East Side of St Erasmus' Chapel, Westminster Abbey (1812)

      Hand-coloured aquatint 28 x 19 cm Published by Rudolph Ackermann (1764 - 1834). An engraving of the east side of the chapel of St Erasmus in Westminster Abbey. Mackenzie's drawing was engraved by Black and published by Ackermann in his 1812 "History of Westminster Abbey". The chapel was built in the late 15th century by order of Edward IV's wife, Elizabeth Woodville. It would have been used to worship St Erasmus, also known as St Elmo (a Christian saint and martyr venerated as the patron saint of sailors and abdominal pain). The Abbey is an historic, mainly Gothic church in the City of Westminster, London, just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is one of the United Kingdom's most notable religious buildings and since Edward the Confessor, a burial site for English and, later, British monarchs. Since the coronation of William the Conqueror in 1066, all coronations of English and British monarchs have occurred in Westminster Abbey. Sixteen royal weddings have occurred at the abbey since 1100. According to a tradition first reported circa 1080, a church was founded at the site (then known as Thorney Island) in the seventh century, in the time of Mellitus, Bishop of London. Construction of the present church began in 1245 on the orders of Henry III. Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854) was a British watercolourist and architectural draughtsman. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1804, and contributed eleven drawings between that year and 1828. He contributed to the Society of Painters in Water Colours exhibitions from 1813, becoming an associate in 1822, and a full member the following year. From 30 November 1831 till his death he was treasurer to the society. In later life Mackenzie was no longer commissioned to illustrate books. Rudolph Ackermann was an Anglo-German bookseller, inventor, lithographer, publisher and businessman. In 1795 he established a print-shop and drawing-school at 96 Strand. Here Ackermann set up a lithographic press and began a trade in prints. He later began to manufacture colours and thick carton paper for landscape and miniature painters. Within three years the premises had become too small and he moved to 101 Strand, in his own words "four doors nearer to Somerset House", the seat of the Royal Academy of Arts. Between 1797 and 1800 Ackermann rapidly developed his print and book publishing business, encompassing many different genres including topography, caricature, portraits, transparencies and decorative prints. Condition: good. Some age toning. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • John Piper (1903-1992)

    Westminster School I (1961)

    49 x 63 cm Signed lower right and numbered 66/100 lower left in pencil. Piper's skilled and characterful rendering of Westminster School's gateway, sometimes known as Burlington's Arch. The historic entrance to the school dates from 1734 and is carved with the names of former pupils. John Piper CH was an English painter, printmaker, and designer of stained-glass windows. His work often focused on the British landscape, especially churches and monuments, and included tapestry designs, book jackets, screen-prints, photography, fabrics and ceramics. Condition: Generally very good, gentle even toning to the paper. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • John Piper (1903-1992)

    Westminster School II (1961)

    42 x 59 cm Signed lower right and numbered 86/100 lower left in pencil. Piper’s second view of Westminster School; both views were commissioned by the school in 1981. Here he depicts Grant's House, with College on the far left and Rigaud’s House on the right. The view is serene and silent, set against a night sky the colour of stone, mimicking the buildings below. John Piper CH was an English painter, printmaker, and designer of stained-glass windows. His work often focused on the British landscape, especially churches and monuments, and included tapestry designs, book jackets, screen-prints, photography, fabrics and ceramics. Condition: generally very good; a little age toning. A few spots to margins. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Click here for other works by John Piper CH.
  • White City Routemaster Slipboard Poster c1970

    Screenprint poster 64x19cm Printed for London Transport for use on Routemaster or RT busses. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Condition: Good, small professionally repaired tear on right hand margin.
  • William Alfred Pite (1860-1949)

    King`s College Hospital, Denmark Hill general bird`s-eye view (1913)

    Initialled H.M.F., signed and titled by William A. Pite F.R.I.B.A. (1860-1949), lower right, on board support with R.I.B.A. `Exhibition of Contemporary British Architecture` label, and architect`s label both mounted on verso Watercolour over pencil 46 x 92cm (26.25 x 18 inches)
  • William Alistair MacDonald (1861-1948)

    Middle Temple Lane, London

    Signed Watercolour 26x17cm The buildings of Middle Temple Lane were constructed between 1684 and 1780. MacDonald is best known for his scenes of London landmarks. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.  
  • after Samuel Buck (1696 - 1779) and Nathaniel Buck (active 1724 - 1759)

    The East View of Winchester Palace (1733)

      Engraving 20 x 37 cm An engraved view of Winchester Palace, a bishop's palace built in the 12th century. It served as the London townhouse of the Bishops of Winchester and remained in use until around 1700, when it was divided up into tenements and warehouses. The building was largely destroyed by fire in 1814. Samuel and Nathaniel Buck were brothers and notable 18th century architectural artists, best known for their depictions of ancient castles and monasteries entitled 'Buck's Antiquities' and those of townscapes of England and Wales, ''Sea-Ports and Capital Towns''. Little is known about the brothers' lives. Samuel was born in Yorkshire and died in penury in London in 1779, and was buried in the churchyard of St Clement Danes. Nathaniel pre-deceased him, dying between 1759 and 1774. Condition: generally very good; slight age toning; sheet trimmed outside platemark; mounted to board. If you are interested, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Click here for other pictures of London.

Title

Go to Top