after Samuel Buck (1696 – 1779) and Nathaniel Buck (active 1724 – 1759)

The East View of Winchester Palace (1733)



20 x 37 cm

An engraved view of Winchester Palace, a bishop’s palace built in the 12th century. It served as the London townhouse of the Bishops of Winchester and remained in use until around 1700, when it was divided up into tenements and warehouses. The building was largely destroyed by fire in 1814.

Samuel and Nathaniel Buck were brothers and notable 18th century architectural artists, best known for their depictions of ancient castles and monasteries entitled ‘Buck’s Antiquities’ and those of townscapes of England and Wales, ”Sea-Ports and Capital Towns”. Little is known about the brothers’ lives. Samuel was born in Yorkshire and died in penury in London in 1779, and was buried in the churchyard of St Clement Danes. Nathaniel pre-deceased him, dying between 1759 and 1774.

Condition: generally very good; slight age toning; sheet trimmed outside platemark; mounted to board.

If you are interested, please email or call us on 07929 749056.

Click here for other pictures of London.