• Angela Stones (1914 - 1995)

    From Battersea Bridge (before Redevelopment)

      Oil on board 40 x 50 cm Stones' view of the Thames and Chelsea Bridge, painted from Battersea Bridge. The artist's use of impasto, particularly evident in her depiction of the rambunctious white clouds above the bridge, lends a liveliness to the painting. Stones was educated at the Chelsea School of Art, and was a member of an artistic dynasty. Her mother Dorothy Bradshaw (1893-1983) studied under Jack Merriott – the artist famous for his British Rail posters, and her son, Christopher Assheton-Stones (1947-1999), was arguably the foremost pastel artist of his time. Provenance: the family of the artist. Condition: very good. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Gerald Mac Spink (flourished 1920 - 1940)

    For Theatres, Kinemas, Cabarets, Dances, Concerts, Travel by Underground (c. 1930)

      Gouache 30 x 19 cm Original design for a London Transport poster. Framed. A fantastic gouache design by Spink for a London Underground poster. The artist's striking Art Deco design and heady use of colour advertises the glamour of travelling by Tube to various evening entertainments around London. Spink was a skilled artist and designer who produced a series of posters in the inter-war period for companies including the London Underground, Southern Railways, LNER, Hawker Engineering, and British Steel. He won a prize in 1933 from the Imperial Institute for his poster artwork. He also worked as an aeronautical engineer in Kingston-on-Thames for Hawker Engineering; his greatest achievement was the creation of the 'Squanderbug', a 500cc racing car which he built in 1947, and which races even to this day. Provenance: the artist's estate. Condition: good; a few small scuffs to gouache, as visible in photographs. Handsomely framed. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Gerald Mac Spink (flourished 1920 - 1940)

    For Pleasure, Travel by Underground (c. 1930)

      Gouache 26 x 18 cm Original design for a London Transport poster. Framed. A dynamic Art Deco poster design by Mac Spink. A boldly-coloured harlequin figure encourages travel via the London Underground. Spink was a skilled artist and designer who produced a series of posters in the inter-war period for companies including the London Underground, Southern Railways, LNER, Hawker Engineering, and British Steel. He won a prize in 1933 from the Imperial Institute for his poster artwork. He also worked as an aeronautical engineer in Kingston-on-Thames for Hawker Engineering; his greatest achievement was the creation of the 'Squanderbug', a 500cc racing car which he built in 1947, and which races even to this day. Provenance: the artist's estate. Condition: good; a few small scuffs to gouache, as visible in photographs. Handsomely framed. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Out of stock

    Bernard Myers (1925 - 2007)

    South London Park

      Oil on board 38 x 64 cm Myers' abstract oil of a London park. Blocks of colour make up the forms of the landscape, textured by the artist's thick, lateral brushstrokes. Bernard Myers was a painter and printmaker who trained at St Martin’s School of Art, the Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts, and the Royal College of Art in the 1940s and 1950s. This painting won the David Murray Landscape Scholarship and was painted while Myers was a student at the RCA. He went on to teach there before moving into a studio in Hammersmith. Condition: very good. Recently cleaned and revarnished. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • J Black (early 19th century) after Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854)

    East End of South Aisle, Westminster Abbey (1812)

      Hand-coloured aquatint 31 x 24 cm Published by Rudolph Ackermann (1764 - 1834). An engraving of the East End of Westminster Abbey's south aisle. Mackenzie's drawing was engraved by Black and published by Ackermann in his 1812 "History of Westminster Abbey". Charles II, Queen Anne, Queen Mary II and her husband King William III, and Mary, Queen of Scots are all buried in the south aisle. The Abbey is an historic, mainly Gothic church in the City of Westminster, London, just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is one of the United Kingdom's most notable religious buildings and since Edward the Confessor, a burial site for English and, later, British monarchs. Since the coronation of William the Conqueror in 1066, all coronations of English and British monarchs have occurred in Westminster Abbey. Sixteen royal weddings have occurred at the abbey since 1100. According to a tradition first reported circa 1080, a church was founded at the site (then known as Thorney Island) in the seventh century, in the time of Mellitus, Bishop of London. Construction of the present church began in 1245 on the orders of Henry III. Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854) was a British watercolourist and architectural draughtsman. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1804, and contributed eleven drawings between that year and 1828. He contributed to the Society of Painters in Water Colours exhibitions from 1813, becoming an associate in 1822, and a full member the following year. From 30 November 1831 till his death he was treasurer to the society. In later life Mackenzie was no longer commissioned to illustrate books. Rudolph Ackermann was an Anglo-German bookseller, inventor, lithographer, publisher and businessman. In 1795 he established a print-shop and drawing-school at 96 Strand. Here Ackermann set up a lithographic press and began a trade in prints. He later began to manufacture colours and thick carton paper for landscape and miniature painters. Within three years the premises had become too small and he moved to 101 Strand, in his own words "four doors nearer to Somerset House", the seat of the Royal Academy of Arts. Between 1797 and 1800 Ackermann rapidly developed his print and book publishing business, encompassing many different genres including topography, caricature, portraits, transparencies and decorative prints. Condition: good. Some age toning. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • J Black (early 19th century) after Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854)

    East Side of St Erasmus' Chapel, Westminster Abbey (1812)

      Hand-coloured aquatint 28 x 19 cm Published by Rudolph Ackermann (1764 - 1834). An engraving of the east side of the chapel of St Erasmus in Westminster Abbey. Mackenzie's drawing was engraved by Black and published by Ackermann in his 1812 "History of Westminster Abbey". The chapel was built in the late 15th century by order of Edward IV's wife, Elizabeth Woodville. It would have been used to worship St Erasmus, also known as St Elmo (a Christian saint and martyr venerated as the patron saint of sailors and abdominal pain). The Abbey is an historic, mainly Gothic church in the City of Westminster, London, just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is one of the United Kingdom's most notable religious buildings and since Edward the Confessor, a burial site for English and, later, British monarchs. Since the coronation of William the Conqueror in 1066, all coronations of English and British monarchs have occurred in Westminster Abbey. Sixteen royal weddings have occurred at the abbey since 1100. According to a tradition first reported circa 1080, a church was founded at the site (then known as Thorney Island) in the seventh century, in the time of Mellitus, Bishop of London. Construction of the present church began in 1245 on the orders of Henry III. Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854) was a British watercolourist and architectural draughtsman. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1804, and contributed eleven drawings between that year and 1828. He contributed to the Society of Painters in Water Colours exhibitions from 1813, becoming an associate in 1822, and a full member the following year. From 30 November 1831 till his death he was treasurer to the society. In later life Mackenzie was no longer commissioned to illustrate books. Rudolph Ackermann was an Anglo-German bookseller, inventor, lithographer, publisher and businessman. In 1795 he established a print-shop and drawing-school at 96 Strand. Here Ackermann set up a lithographic press and began a trade in prints. He later began to manufacture colours and thick carton paper for landscape and miniature painters. Within three years the premises had become too small and he moved to 101 Strand, in his own words "four doors nearer to Somerset House", the seat of the Royal Academy of Arts. Between 1797 and 1800 Ackermann rapidly developed his print and book publishing business, encompassing many different genres including topography, caricature, portraits, transparencies and decorative prints. Condition: good. Some age toning. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • J Black (early 19th century) after Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854)

    Screen Over the Chantry of Henry V, Westminster Abbey (1812)

      Hand-coloured aquatint 26 x 31 cm Published by Rudolph Ackermann (1764 - 1834). An engraving of the gothic screen of the elaborately carved chantry chapel dedicated to Henry V, and below which lies his tomb, in Westminster Abbey. Mackenzie's drawing was engraved by Black and published by Ackermann in his 1812 "History of Westminster Abbey". The Abbey is an historic, mainly Gothic church in the City of Westminster, London, just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is one of the United Kingdom''s most notable religious buildings and since Edward the Confessor, a burial site for English and, later, British monarchs. Since the coronation of William the Conqueror in 1066, all coronations of English and British monarchs have occurred in Westminster Abbey. Sixteen royal weddings have occurred at the abbey since 1100. According to a tradition first reported circa 1080, a church was founded at the site (then known as Thorney Island) in the seventh century, in the time of Mellitus, Bishop of London. Construction of the present church began in 1245 on the orders of Henry III. Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854) was a British watercolourist and architectural draughtsman. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1804, and contributed eleven drawings between that year and 1828. He contributed to the Society of Painters in Water Colours exhibitions from 1813, becoming an associate in 1822, and a full member the following year. From 30 November 1831 till his death he was treasurer to the society. In later life Mackenzie was no longer commissioned to illustrate books. Rudolph Ackermann was an Anglo-German bookseller, inventor, lithographer, publisher and businessman. In 1795 he established a print-shop and drawing-school at 96 Strand. Here Ackermann set up a lithographic press and began a trade in prints. He later began to manufacture colours and thick carton paper for landscape and miniature painters. Within three years the premises had become too small and he moved to 101 Strand, in his own words "four doors nearer to Somerset House", the seat of the Royal Academy of Arts. Between 1797 and 1800 Ackermann rapidly developed his print and book publishing business, encompassing many different genres including topography, caricature, portraits, transparencies and decorative prints. Condition: good. Some age toning. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • J Black (early 19th century) after Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854)

    The Choir, Westminster Abbey (1812)

      Hand-coloured aquatint 28 x 19 cm Published by Rudolph Ackermann (1764 - 1834). An engraving of the vast and soaring interior of Westminster Abbey. Mackenzie's drawing was engraved by Black and published by Ackermann in his 1812 "History of Westminster Abbey". The Abbey is an historic, mainly Gothic church in the City of Westminster, London, just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is one of the United Kingdom's most notable religious buildings and since Edward the Confessor, a burial site for English and, later, British monarchs. Since the coronation of William the Conqueror in 1066, all coronations of English and British monarchs have occurred in Westminster Abbey. Sixteen royal weddings have occurred at the abbey since 1100. According to a tradition first reported circa 1080, a church was founded at the site (then known as Thorney Island) in the seventh century, in the time of Mellitus, Bishop of London. Construction of the present church began in 1245 on the orders of Henry III. Frederick Mackenzie (1788 - 1854) was a British watercolourist and architectural draughtsman. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1804, and contributed eleven drawings between that year and 1828. He contributed to the Society of Painters in Water Colours exhibitions from 1813, becoming an associate in 1822, and a full member the following year. From 30 November 1831 till his death he was treasurer to the society. In later life Mackenzie was no longer commissioned to illustrate books. Rudolph Ackermann was an Anglo-German bookseller, inventor, lithographer, publisher and businessman. In 1795 he established a print-shop and drawing-school at 96 Strand. Here Ackermann set up a lithographic press and began a trade in prints. He later began to manufacture colours and thick carton paper for landscape and miniature painters. Within three years the premises had become too small and he moved to 101 Strand, in his own words "four doors nearer to Somerset House", the seat of the Royal Academy of Arts. Between 1797 and 1800 Ackermann rapidly developed his print and book publishing business, encompassing many different genres including topography, caricature, portraits, transparencies and decorative prints. Condition: good. Some age toning. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Brendan Neiland (b.1941) R.A. (Expelled)

    Hampton Court (1984)

      Screenprint 74 x 51 cm Signed, dated, titled, and numbered 152/250 in pencil. A print of one of Hampton Court's magnificent facades, reflected in its fountain. Reflected architecture is one of Neiland's most recurring themes. The Fountain Court was designed by Sir Christopher Wren; he began remodelled the palace in the baroque style for William III and Mary II in 1689. It held private and state apartments for both the King and Queen. Wren’s other works at Hampton Court Palace include the Lower Orangery and the grand colonnade in Clock Court, providing a grand entrance to the King's Apartments. The architectural historian Sir John Summerson described Fountain Court as 'Startling, as of simultaneous exposure to a great many eyes with raised eyebrows'. Brendan Neiland (born 23 October 1941 in Lichfield, Staffordshire) is an English artist best known for his paintings of reflections in modern city buildings. In 1992 he was elected to the Royal Academy (RA). Neiland is known for his interpretations of city life. His work is widely exhibited in major museums and galleries worldwide including, in Britain, the Victoria and Albert Museum, The Tate Gallery London, The Collections of the British Council and the Arts Council of Great Britain. He is represented by the Redfern Gallery and has had numerous shows internationally, including at the Galerie Belvedere in Singapore, who represent him in Singapore and the Far East. Condition: very good. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Brendan Neiland (b.1941) R.A. (Expelled)

    Hyde Park Barracks, Knightsbridge (1979)

      Screenprint 35 x 51 cm Signed, titled, dated and numbered 153/300 in pencil. A print of the facade of Hyde Park Barracks, reflected in still water and backed by a bright blue sky. Reflected architecture is one of Neiland's most recurring themes. The Hyde Park Barracks (often known as Knightsbridge Barracks) on the southern edge of Hyde Park. The barracks are 34 mile from Buckingham Palace, enabling the officers and soldiers of the Household Cavalry to be available to respond speedily to any emergency at the Palace, practice drills on the Horse Guards Parade, and conduct their ceremonial duties. Neiland is known for his interpretations of city life. His work is widely exhibited in major museums and galleries worldwide including, in Britain, the Victoria and Albert Museum, The Tate Gallery London, The Collections of the British Council and the Arts Council of Great Britain. He is represented by the Redfern Gallery and has had numerous shows internationally, including at the Galerie Belvedere in Singapore, who represent him in Singapore and the Far East. Condition: slight browning to sheet; small stain to top right corner. When mounted this will not be perceptible. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Joseph Constantine Stadler (1755 - 1828) after Joseph Farington (1747 - 1821)

    View of Greenwich and Down the River (1795)

      Hand-coloured engraving 23 x 33 cm Joseph Constantine Stadler was a prolific German émigré engraver of images after his contemporaries - here, 18th-century English landscape painter and diarist Joseph Farington. Stadler's engravings are wide-ranging in subject matter and include landscapes, seascapes and portraits, as well as military, sporting and decorative subjects. Stadler was employed by the leading print publisher of the time, John Boydell. Stadler lived in Knightsbridge when he died at the age of 73. Joseph Farington was born in Lancashire and went to study with Richard Wilson in London in 1763. In 1764, 1765, and 1766 he won "premiums" from the Society of Artists for his landscape drawing; he became a member in 1765. He joined the Royal Academy when it was founded in 1769 and was elected an ARA in 1783 and an RA in 1785. Farington contributed works to the Academy's exhibitions every year until 1801, but only occasionally between 1801 and 1813. He was an active member of the Academy and sat on several important committees, including the one which determined where artworks would be hung during the exhibitions. In 1793 he became a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and helped establish the British Institution. Condition: very good. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Johannes Kip (1652 - 1722) and Leonard Knyff (1650 - 1722)

    Burlington House (1707)

      Engraving with later hand-colouring 36 x 50 cm The linked careers of Jan Kip and Leonard Knyff made a specialty of engraved views of English country houses, represented in detail from the bird's-eye view, a pictorial convention for topography. Their major work was Britannia Illustrata: Or Views of Several of the Queens Palaces, as Also of the Principal seats of the Nobility and Gentry of Great Britain, Curiously Engraven on 80 Copper Plates, London (1707, published in the winter of 1708-9). The volume is among the most important English topographical publications of the 18th century. Architecture is rendered with care, and the settings of parterres and radiating avenues driven through woods or planted across fields, garden paths, gates and toolsheds are illustrated in detail. The images are staffed with figures and horses, coaches pulling into forecourts, water-craft on rivers, in line with the traditions of the Low Countries. The inscription in the plate reads: Burlington House in Pickadilly Belonging to the R.t Honble Charles Boyle Baron Clifforde of Londesburgh, and Earle of Burlington Baron of younghall & Bandon, Viscount Kynalmeaky & Dungarvan, Earle of Corke in the Kingdom of Ireland, Chief Governour of the County of Corke, and the Citty, and County of the Citty of Corke, Lord high Treasurer of Ireland, Lord high Steward of the Royalty of Knaresburgh in the County of Yorke, & one of the Gentlemen of his Majties Beddchamber. Condition: recent hand colouring, with wash-lined mount. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • N. V. Gray

    The Royal Wedding: Picture Map of the Route through London (1947)

      Lithograph 50 x 76 cm Produced by H.A. & W.L. Pitkin Ltd for the Daily Telegraph and published by Geographia Ltd., of Hutchinson & Co. Signed in plate lower right. Complete with slip showing the genealogy of the two parties. Princess Elizabeth (later Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II) and Prince Philip married on Thursday 20th November 1947 at Westminster Abbey in London. This map, commissioned and sold by the Daily Telegraph newspaper, was designed by N. V. Gray. It depicts the route the carriage processions took on the way to the Abbey; Princess Elizabeth and her father King George Vi travelled in the magnificent Irish State Coach. Crests of London's boroughs border this delightfully coloured map. If you’d like to know more, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • Darton and Harvey (publisher)

    Map of London, Southwark, and parts adjacent (1800)

      Engraving 42 x 56 cm Condition: generally very good; backed to linen with some evidence of use.
  • John Piper (1903-1992)

    St James the Less, Westminster

    Screenprint 65 x 49 cm From the 'Retrospect of Churches' series, numbered 24/70. Generally very good. Signed in pencil. John Piper CH was an English painter, printmaker, and designer of stained-glass windows. His work often focused on the British landscape, especially churches and monuments, and included tapestry designs, book jackets, screen-prints, photography, fabrics and ceramics. A Retrospect of Churches was issued as a suite of 24 original colour lithographs in colour, in an edition of 70 copies (70 numbered copies plus five artist's proofs). This poignant and dramatic representation of St James the Less is an evocative depiction of this part of London in the evening: wet pavements reflect the bright lights of the buildings, and the church is a warm, moody reddish-purple against the deep black of a dark night. Condition: Generally very good.
  • Albert Walter Moore (1874 – 1965)

    Design for 30 Fenchurch Street (1915)

    Pencil and watercolour on paper 38.1 x 62 cm Signed and inscribed ‘Albert W Moore FRIBA Architect, 112 Fenchurch St, March 1915’. Provenance: Sotheby’s lot 166, 25 June 1981. A design for a fine building on the Plantation House site (the site was cleared in 2005 for a new building, '30 Fenchurch Street'). The architectural drawing is rendered carefully in pencil, with blue, yellow, and brown washes adding colour and depth to the picture. Moore was articled to George Hubbard, and the two became partners in 1898. He studied at the West London School of Art and was a member of the Architectural Association. Condition: very good; some losses to frame.
  • Sydney Vale F. R. S. A. (1916 - 1991)

    A warship passing under Tower Bridge

      Watercolour 35 x 50 cm Born in 1916, Sydney Vale was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and a member of the prestigious Wapping Group of Artists from 1972 to 1991, which was formed primarily to record life in London's Docklands. Within this group, Vale and his contemporaries specialised in portraying the charm and romance of the River Thames from source to estuary.
  • Violet Hilda Drummond (British, 1911-2000)

    Westminster Abbey

    Watercolour 33 x 43 cm Signed lower right. Here, the artist paints a sprightly view of Westminster Abbey, which rises from a sea of nondescript pedestrians. The mostly monochrome palette, gently highlighted with splashes of a muted red, and white details, communicates the character of the city. Drummond's father, a Scots Guard, was killed at Ypres in 1914. Drummond and her two sisters were brought up by her mother and educated in Eastbourne and at Le Chateau Vitry-sur-Seine, a Parisian finishing school. After Paris, Drummond attended St Martin’s School of Art. Later in life, she began writing children’s picture books – the most notable being Miss Anna Truly (1945) and her Little Laura series (1960 onwards). She also produced cartoons for the BBC. 'Mrs Easter and the Stork' – published in 1957 by Faber & Faber – was awarded the Kate Greenway Medal. Drummond later took to painting watercolours of London street scenes which have remained popular ever since. Provenance: the Arthur Andersen art collection.
  • Violet Hilda Drummond (British, 1911-2000)

    St Paul's Cathedral

    Watercolour 33 x 43 cm Signed upper right (visible in the photograph showing the framed painting). Provenance: the Arthur Andersen art collection. Here, the artist paints a sprightly view of St Paul's, which rises from a sea of nondescript traffic and pedestrians. The mostly monochrome palette, gently highlighted with a yellow wash and white details, communicates the character of the city. Drummond's father, a Scots Guard, was killed at Ypres in 1914. Drummond and her two sisters were brought up by her mother and educated in Eastbourne and at Le Chateau Vitry-sur-Seine, a Parisian finishing school. After Paris, Drummond attended St Martin’s School of Art. Later in life, she began writing children’s picture books – the most notable being Miss Anna Truly (1945) and her Little Laura series (1960 onwards). She also produced cartoons for the BBC. 'Mrs Easter and the Stork' – published in 1957 by Faber & Faber – was awarded the Kate Greenway Medal. Drummond later took to painting watercolours of London street scenes which have remained popular ever since.
  • John Piper (1903-1992)

    Study for the Piper Building mural

    Gouache 14.5x11.5cm Provenance: P Manzareli (who built the fibreglass murals for Piper), gift from the artist; Milne & Moller Fine Art; Katharine House Gallery; private collection, Scotland. This study is a fascinating part of London's architectural history. The Piper Building is a mid-century architectural icon in Fulham. Built in the 1950s as 'Watson House', it was a laboratory complex for the North Thames Gas Board and has an innovative concrete structure. Piper was commissioned to produce the murals surrounding the building. The Gas Board moved out in the mid 1980s. Scheduled for demolition in the 1990s, the building was instead converted into seventy apartments and renamed the Piper Building. With double-height ceilings, the apartments were sold as shells, and purchasers were free to commission their own architects and builders. Condition: Generally excellent; framed. For other works by the artist and biographical details, click here. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.
  • James Fittler (1758-1835) after George Robertson (1748-1788)

    North West View of Windsor Castle in the County of Berks (1782)

    47x58cm London: Published by John Boydell Fittler engraved two views of Windsor by Robertson. Trained at Royal Academy Schools, he was a skilled engraver and etcher and joined the mid-18th century trend for recording the landscape of the British Isles, producing and selling prints to tourists. A copy of this print is in the National Trust's collection at Anglesea Abbey, from Lord Fairhaven's extraordinary collection of views of Windsor Castle.
  • Benjamin Cole (1697-1783)

    South Prospect of Somerset House (c. 1753)

    Engraving 24 x 37 cm   Stow's Survey of London, a ward-by-ward topographical and historical tour of the City of London giving an account of buildings, social conditions and customs, was first published in 1598. Cole's architectural view of Somerset House illustrates the clean neoclassical proportions for which it is known. Condition: Trimmed by the binder's knife within plate marks; some offsetting from facing page; occasional soft creases; generally good.
  • Benjamin Cole (1697-1783)

    Southwark Cathedral (c. 1753)

    Engraving 24 x 33 cm   Stow's Survey of London, a ward-by-ward topographical and historical tour of the City of London giving an account of buildings, social conditions and customs, was first published in 1598. This view of Southwark Cathedral, labelled here as 'the South Prospect of the Church of St Saviour in Southwark', offers a charming perspective of the building's architecture and churchyard. Condition: Generally very good; slight offsetting from facing page and old library stamp to reverse.
  • Pieter van der Aa (1659-1733), after Jan Kip (1652/3-1722)

    Old St Paul's Cathedral (1707)

    Engraving, 14 x 17 cm   A view of the nave of Old St Paul's Cathedral, engraved by Pieter van der Aa after Johannes 'Jan' Kip, the Dutch draftsman, engraver and print dealer. Pieter van der Aa of Leiden was a Dutch publisher best known for preparing maps and atlases, though he also printed editions of foreign bestsellers and illustrated volumes. He is noted for the many engravings he produced after David Loggan's series of Oxford and Cambridge colleges and costumes. In 1727 Van Der Aa illustrated "Les Delices de la Grande Bretagne & de L'Irelande" by James Beeverell, the book in which this engraving appears.   Condition: Generally very good.
  • Richard Beer (1928-2017) Christ Church Newgate (1970)

    Colour etching and aquatint on Velin Arches, published by Editions Alecto 63x48cm Full sheet size 73 x 55cm Signed, titled and numbered 75/150 Click here for biography and other works by this artist. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Condition: Print in good condition, margins well outside platemark show some discolouration and handling marks which will be hidden behind mat/mount.
  • Uxbridge Station Poster c.1930 Printed by HMSO

    Lithograph 100x62cm This four coloured lithograph was printed in extremely limited numbers for London Transport by HMSO. These maps detailed station entrances and were placed along the underground network to inform commuters exactly where they were in London. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Condition: Generally very good, slight bruising to the very edges in places, and a little touching in of the red border.
  • A J Meyer (British, fl 1900-1930) Dulwich College

    Etching 22x30cm Sadly little is known of Meyer, an accomplished artist and particularly producer of etchings. He was one of many artists to join the craze for etchings started by Whistler and that died out after the 1929 Wall Street crash. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Condition: Mounted to board; generally good to very good.
  • Frederick Nash (1782-1856) Drawn and etched Engraved by F C Lewis Arches and Columns

    London Published by F Nash, No 6 Asylum Buildings, Westminster Road July 12 1804 55x39cm Frederick Nash was born in Lambeth. Initially studying architectural drawing under Thomas Malton he subsequently enrolled at the Royal Academy of Arts. From 1801 to 1809 he worked with the antiquarians John Britton and Edward Wedlake Brayley, subsequently becoming a member of the Society of Painters in Watercolours - a group of painters who had left the Royal Academy following complaints of under-recognition of their works. Latterly primarily a landscape painter he toured the rivers of Germany. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Condition: In generally good condition, some offsetting of ink from adjacent print as visible in image, occasional spotting. Not trimmed.
  • Angela Stones (1914-1995) Westminster Bridge and the Houses of Parliament

    Watercolour 31x41 cm Stones was a member of an artistic dynasty. Her mother Dorothy Bradshaw (1893-1983) studied under Jack Merriott - the artist famous for his British Rail posters, and her son, Christopher Assheton-Stones (1947-1999) was probably the foremost pastel artist of his time. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056. Condition: Good.
  • Macdonald (Max) Gill (1884-1947) Wonderground Map of London (c. 1924, after 1914 original edition)

    Lithographic poster 75x94cm In the present work, in the top left-hand corner it reads 'On to Wembley' making reference to the British Empire Exhibition of 1924. Gill's original 1914 poster was hugely popular and reprinted with updates to feature topical events. Born in Brighton, Max Gill was the second son in a family of thirteen children; his elder brother was Eric Gill, the typographer and sculptor. Both Gills exhibited significant talent at a young age. Max Gill’s first map was made for a school map-drawing project following which he entered maps into competitions in boys’ magazines. In 1903 he moved to London as assistant to the ecclesiastical architects Sir Charles Nicholson and Hubert Corlette. By 1908 he had started his own architectural practice, but in 1909 Sir Edwin Lutyens commissioned Gill to paint a “wind dial” map for Nashdom, a large house in Buckinghamshire. The wind dial was set over the fireplace and attached to a weather vane on the roof, allowing the occupant to know the direction of the wind from the comfort of the house. He produced seven further wind dials including for Lutyens’s Lindisfarne Castle and for the Allhusen Room at Trinity College, Cambridge. Although he continued to practice as an architect, Frank Pick commissioned him to create seven pictorial maps for the Underground, the first being the famous 1913 ‘Wonderground Map of London Town.’ In 1917 he joined the Imperial War Graves Commission’s headstone design committee, designing the typeface and regimental badges. Gill’s memorials for the fallen in the First World War include for Balliol and Worcester Colleges and Christ Church in Oxford. During the 1920s and 30s Gill undertook many commercial commissions for advertising materials. The Empire Marketing Board and Shell-Mex as well as further maps for the Underground. He designed in 1922 the first diagrammatic map of the Underground which provided the foundation for Beck’s more famous map. By the 1930s his major works were murals. Those of the Arctic and Antarctic on the ceilings of the Scott Polar Research Institute in Cambridge are beautiful, but the most impressive is the map of the North Atlantic in the first-class dining room of the Queen Mary (maiden voyage: 1936, now moored at Long Beach, California). During the Second World War he created a series of propaganda posters for the Ministry of Information.
  • Dig for Victory over Want World War II public information

    11x18cm for His Majesty's Stationery Office HMSO On gummed paper   Printed on gummed paper, this was designed to be widely propagated, so that the public information message would not get lost. With food having to be shipped over the U-Boat infested Atlantic putting sailors' lives and ships at risk, every scrap of food that could be grown at home saved lives and allowed munitions to be transported instead. Therefore the Government started a large public information campaign to Dig for Victory - encouraging people to dig up their gardens and grow food. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.  
  • Angela Stones (1914-1995) Chelsea Old Church

    Watercolour 31x41 cm Stones was a member of an artistic dynasty. Her mother Dorothy Bradshaw (1893-1983) studied under Jack Merriott - the artist famous for his British Rail posters, and her son, Christopher Assheton-Stones (1947-1999) was probably the foremost pastel artist of his time. If you are interested email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.

Title

Go to Top