DV170 Lancaster Bomber in flight
Silver Gelatin Photograph
Stamped to reverse “Rolls Royce Ltd Hucknall Neg no s76 Copyright Reserved”
DV170 was built as a Mk III and converted to Mk VI. Used by Rolls Royce for Merlin trials series 65, 85, 38, 68, 100, 102 & 621 300+ f/hrs testing. Dismantled (probably at Hucknall), by road to Newton 10 December 1947, scrapped by 58 Maintenance Unit. Shown here with 4 Merlin 102s in Avro Tudor power plants with unshrouded exhausts. Provenance: from the collection of Philip J R Moyes, author of many books on the RAF, most notably The Pictorial History which ran to several volumes.