after Samuel Buck (1696 – 1779) and Nathaniel Buck (active 1724 – 1759)

The South View of Bindon Abbey, in the County of Dorset (1733)



20 x 37 cm

An engraved view of Bindon Abbey, a Cistercian monastery on the River Frome in Dorset. The monastery was founded in 1149 by William de Glastonia on the site since known as Little Bindon near Bindon Hill. In 1172 the monastery moved to a site near Wool, and was supported by the house of Plantagenet. The abbey was scheduled for Dissolution in 1536, and finally dissolved in 1539. Only ruins remain.

Samuel and Nathaniel Buck were brothers and notable 18th century architectural artists, best known for their depictions of ancient castles and monasteries entitled ‘Buck’s Antiquities’ and those of townscapes of England and Wales, ”Sea-Ports and Capital Towns”. Little is known about the brothers’ lives. Samuel was born in Yorkshire and died in penury in London in 1779, and was buried in the churchyard of St Clement Danes. Nathaniel pre-deceased him, dying between 1759 and 1774.

Condition: generally good; some age toning; mounted to board; sheet trimmed outside platemark.

If you are interested, please email or call us on 07929 749056.