Hugh Casson St John’s College Oxford
Sir Hugh Casson CH, KCVO, PRA, RDI (1910-1999)
St John’s College, Oxford, Canterbury Quad
Signed, inscribed with title and dated ‘1988’ (on a label attached to the backboard)
Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour
10.5 x 27cm (4 1/8 x 10 5/8in).
Sir Hugh Casson educated at Eastbourne College, St John’s College Cambridge and the Bartlett School of Architecture. Trained in the 1930s in the early modernist style, he taught at the Cambridge School of Architecture. After employment as a camoufleur during World War 2 by the Air Ministry, in 1948 he was appointed as director of architecture for the Festival of Britain. A close friend of the Royal Family, he undertook designs for the 1953 coronation, designed the interior of the Royal Yacht Britannia (“The overall idea was to give the impression of a country house at sea”), and taught the Prince of Wales to paint in watercolours. Amongst his architectural achievements are the Elephant House at London Zoo, the Raised Faculty Building for The University of Cambridge, and a building for the Royal College of Art.
Painted for inclusion in Hugh Casson’s Oxford (Phaidon Press Ltd, 1988).
If you are interested email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07929 749056.