Edwin La Dell (1914-1970)
The High, Oxford
49 x 64 cm
Signed, titled, and number 28/80 in pencil.
A beautiful depiction of the golden Headington stone of Queen’s College on the High Street, Oxford. The cupola above the college’s entrance, and, in the background, the shadowy spire of the University Church of St Mary the Virgin, rise into the blustery sky.
La Dell studied at the Sheffield School of Art, where he won a scholarship to the Royal College of Art. From 1934 to 1940 John Nash was the head of printmaking there, and taught La Dell. La Dell himself became head of lithography there in 1948, and remained in post until his death.
During the war La Dell was an official war artist and a camofleur, but he is probably best known for his lithographs of Oxford and Cambridge that he published himself. His works are widely held in the public collections, including the Royal Academy and the Government Art Collection, the latter of which holds many of his views of Cambridge.
Condition: very good.
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07929 749056.