Jane Gray (b.1931)

St Paul’s Church, Warwick, Design for One of Two Stained Glass Windows (1991)



27.5 x 5 cm

Studio stamp and notes in artist’s hand verso.

Rapid population expansion in Warwick in the early 1800s, due to the opening of the canal and industrialisation, saw the churchyards of St Mary and St Nicholas unable to cope. In 1823 both churches petitioned the Bishop of Worcester for extra burial space, but it wasn’t until 1918 that the Coventry diocese was finally created. A cemetery and chapel, known as St Mary’s Episcopal Chapel were built in 1824 on the site where St Paul’s sits today but was used exclusively for burials. In 1844 the Parish of St Paul’s was formed and the church was consecrated on 26th July 1844 by the Bishop of Worcester. This window was installed in 1992.

Provenance: the artist’s studio sale.

Literature: Jane Gray, Playing with Rainbows. (Shropshire: Ellingham Press, 2011), p.81.

Condition: very good.

If you are interested, please email info@manningfineart.co.uk or call us on 07929 749056.

For other works by Jane Gray and more information about her, please click here.