E. T. Talbot
St John’s College, Cambridge, showing the First Court and Chapel
30 x 25 cm
A richly-coloured watercolour painting of the First Court of St John’s. First Court was built in 1511-20 to the south of the old Hospital of St John the Evangelist, and was designed to contain living quarters, chapel, library, hall, and kitchens. The version of First Court which Talbot paints looks markedly different to the college today – the chapel on the far left of the picture was demolished after the new chapel was completed in 1869.