Lady Margaret Myddleton (1910 – 2003)
Harbour at Menton
Oil on canvas
32 x 45 cm
Signed lower left, and titled on label to reverse.
Myddleton’s sunny view of this fashionable Cote d’Azur port sees two sailing boats make their way into the harbour, as three onlookers watch from the pier. Behind them rise the town’s sun-drenched buildings, including the basilica of Saint-Michel-Archange, and the purple of the French Alps.
Lady Margaret Myddleton was an accomplished painter, painting interiors, country houses, and landscapes (both home and abroad). This was likely painted while Lady Myddleton was holidaying on the French Riviera. Most of her watercolours are on display in Chirk Castle, Wrexham, the family seat of the Myddleton family since 1593 (although the castle’s ownership was transferred to the National Trust in 1981).
Lady Myddelton was the chatelaine of the castle for thirty years, and died there in 2003. She had married Lt-Col Ririd Myddelton (Deputy Master of the Household to King George VI) in 1931, and the couple struggled to maintain the castle and estate. In 1978, Chirk and its 468 acres of parkland were bought for the nation through the National Land Fund and for the next three years were administered by the Welsh Office. In 1981 they passed to the National Trust, which now manages them.
Condition: very good.
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07929 749056.