Florence Camm (1874-1960)
Design for stained glass window with orb and cross
Design for TW Camm & Co., Smethwick, Birmingham
The Camms were stained glass designers who exhibited 48 times at the Royal Academy and also exhibited at The Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, The Royal Scottish Academy and Royal Birmingham Society of Artists. Following the death of her father, Florence Camm became chief designer at TW Camm with many commissions both nationally and internationally.
Florence Camm was the daughter of Thomas William Camm (1839-1912) who founded the stained glass business T W Camm in High Street Smethwick. From 1892-1911 she studied at The Birmingham Municipal School of Art which, unusually for the time, encouraged girls to attend the life drawing classes – drawing fully nude female models and partially draped male models – thus explaining Camm’s skill with the human figure. Students were encouraged to execute their drawings for designs, thus giving them the skills to set up as manufacturers in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter. The arts and crafts designer Henry Payne was an influential tutor for Camm, being one of the most influential teachers at the BMSA who was working as a stained glass designer at the time; one of his most notable commissions was a painted mural illustrating Tudor History for the Houses of Parliament in 1908.
Following the death of TW Camm, Florence and her brothers – Walter and Robert – took over the business and Florence did most of the designing.
If you are interested email email@example.com or call us on 07929 749056.
Condition: In conservation mount and in plastic sleeve for protection.