Engraving of architect showing plans of Trinity College Oxford and its chapel, behind larger elevation of Garden (early 18th Century)
Hand coloured engraving
36.5 x 47.5 cm
Rare – we have been unable to identify another copy of this print.
The architect pictured has been suggested to be Henry Aldrich who designed the chapel at Trinity College, hence seen here with the plans thereof. The figures stand before the buildings of the Garden Quadrangle, built by Christopher Wren. Aldrich was Canon and Dean of Christ Church, Oxford. As well as a polymath and composer, he was a prolific architect working in the Palladian style, writing ‘Elemena Architectuae Civilis’ (1789) and designing Peckwater Quadrangle at Christ Church (1707-14).
Condition:Generally good with some spotting and slight overall toning. Trimmed to just within platemark at top and bottom.