Henry Cliffe was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire in 1919. After studying at the Bath Academy of Art he opened up a lithography studio in the city, where he designed surreal forms until his retirement in 1981. Cliffe’s work was exhibited internationally to wide acclaim. In 1954 and 1960, he was one of five artists shown in the British Pavilion at Venice Biennale and in the same year he won first purchase prize at the Philadelphia Print Club. Within Britain, he is credited with the revival of interest in original prints and lithographs in the late 1950s. Today, his work is considered a brilliant product of creative invention, developed over four decades of intense experimentation.