William Matthison (1853-1926)
Lincoln College Quadrangle, Oxford
**currently on hold for a customer**
Signed lower left ‘W Matthison’
Born outside Birmingham, Matthison attended King Edward’s School in the city. Learning drawing at Birmingham Central School of Art he became a pupil of Birmingham artist Edward Watson. Becoming a professional artist in 1875, he moved to Oxfordshire in 1883. In 1902 he moved to Park Town, in Oxford and was commissioned by Robert Peel to paint more than seventy views of the University of Oxford which were made into postcards. Priced at seven for a shilling, they were only available from E Cross of Pembroke Street. Raphael Tuck & Sons also commissioned him to produce scenes of Cambridge for their postcards. His views of Oxford were latterly used in Fifty Watercolour Drawings of Oxford published in 1912 by Alden & Co.