Clifford Hall RBA ROI (1904-1973)
Oil on board
Here Hall catches the dreaminess of a hazy summer’s day on an English beach. Six figures are at the edge of the water, so one can surmise that it is not the warmest of days.
Hall was born in Wandsworth, studying at Richmond Art School under Charles Wheeler and under Stanley Anderson at Putney Art School. This was followed by two years (1925-27)at the Royal Academy Schools on a Landseer Scholarship during which period he undertook portrait commissions to fund his studies. Walter Sickert and Charles Simms were influences. He followed the footsteps of many artists before and since, moving to Paris in 1928 and sharing a studio with Edwin John, the son of Augustus John.
He returned to England, painting scenes in Soho and elsewhere during the 1930s. During the Second World War he was a member of a stretcher party near Lots Road and captured the scenes he saw, making submissions independently to the War Artists Advisory Committee, some of which are in the Imperial War Museum.
In later life he painted very distinctive portraits of women with hidden faces and swathed in fabric. Following his death, Christies sold the remaining contents of his studio in 1982 and they are to be found in many British institutional collections.
He had one-man exhibitions between 1935 and 1977 at the Leicester Galleries, Redfern Gallery, Goupil Gallery, Roland Brose and Delbanco, Athony d’Offay Gallery and Beaux Arts Gallery with the Belgrave Gallery holding his final memorial exhibition.