Hugh Casson Jesus College Cambridge Watercolour
Sir Hugh Casson CH, KCVO, PRA, RDI (1910-1999)
Jesus College Cambridge. The 19th Century top to the Tower of St Radegund from the Fellows’ Garden
Signed with initials and inscribed
Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour. In a hand-finished gilded frame.
14 x 16 cm (5 1/2 x 6 5/16 inches)
Sir Hugh Casson educated at Eastbourne College, St John’s College Cambridge and the Bartlett School of Architecture. Trained in the 1930s in the early modernist style, he taught at the Cambridge School of Architecture. After employment as a camoufleur during World War 2 by the Air Ministry, in 1948 he was appointed as director of architecture for the Festival of Britain. A close friend of the Royal Family, he undertook designs for the 1953 coronation, designed the interior of the Royal Yacht Britannia (“The overall idea was to give the impression of a country house at sea”), and taught the Prince of Wales to paint in watercolours. Amongst his architectural achievements are the Elephant House at London Zoo, the Raised Faculty Building for The University of Cambridge, and a building for the Royal College of Art.
If you are interested email email@example.com or call us on 07929 749056.