Edward Maufe Design for a carpet for St John’s College Oxford
Sir Edward Brantwood Maufe KBE RA FRIBA (1883-1974)
Design for a carpet for St John’s College Oxford
Watercolour and ink
37x46cm (14.5×18.1 inches)
Maufe designed buildings for his old Oxford College, St John’s, over an extended period, starting with two memorial slabs in 1923, and was made honorary fellow in 1943. His most major works were the Rawlinson Building extension (1933) and Dolphin Quad (1947). This design relates to the 1936 remodelling of the smoking room of the Senior Common Room.
Maufe is probably most famous for his Guildford Cathedral , the Air Forces Memorial, and his work for the Imperial War Graves Commission, for which he received his knighthood in 1954. He served a five-year apprenticeship under William Pite and then attended St John’s College Oxford as an undergraduate. Subsequently studying Design at the Architectural Association, his architecture shows a strong arts and crafts influence, inspired by having lived in The Red House, Bexleyheath that Philip Webb designed for William Morris.
Provenance: The estate of Bernard Bumpus
£2,200 (two very similar designs available)
If you are interested email email@example.com or call us on 07929 749056.